[Rd] Wierd nlm behaviour in 2.10.1 and 2.12.0 [Sec=Unclassified]

Ravi Varadhan rvaradhan at jhmi.edu
Wed Oct 13 15:27:29 CEST 2010

Hi Troy,

I think that your problem is poorly scaled.  You have variables that vary
over several orders of magnitude. This means that any small changes (due to
subtle differences between R versions) could cause a big difference in the
convergence behavior of the algorithms.  So, you are asking for trouble and
you got it.  I would scale the problem such that the parameters, function
and its gradient are essentially of the same magnitude.

To paraphrase John Nash, who paraphrased Richard Varga, "It is all about
scaling".

Furthermore, I would specify the analytic gradient, which should be very
easy to derive.

Ravi.