[Rd] How do I put ldpaths in a specific place?

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed Oct 6 13:45:10 CEST 2010

On Oct 6, 2010, at 12:38 AM, Tena Sakai wrote:

> Hi Everybody,
>
> I made R (v. 2.11.1) from source with the following config option:
>    ./configure --prefix=/mnt/ami-centos5.5-64bit-base \
>                        --exec-prefix=/mnt/ami-centos5.5-64bit-base \
>                        --with-tcltk
>
> All seemed to go well, but when I tested it with:
>    /usr/sbin/chroot /mnt/ami-centos5.5-64bit-base R
> It told me:
>  /bin/R: line 217: /mnt/ami-centos5.5-64bit-base/lib64/R/etc/ldpaths: No such file or directory
>
> Question:
> How can I direct ldpaths file into this directory?

That's a quite irrelevant question if your underlying goal is to run R - ldpaths is your least problem - even if you fixed that nothing would work as your R.home is entirely wrong.

Note that by using chroot you're making the entire configuration under which you compiled R invalid.

If your chroot jailed configuration is identical to that of your main system, you should configure R against your full system and use DESTDIR on make install to place the installation in the jail. (Note that --prefix is something entirely different!)

If it's not then you are entirely on your own as you will have to use the above approach but then also make sure any dependent tools and libraries used by R are also present in the chroot jail.

Cheers,
Simon