[Rd] scoping goes wrong when some functions are used within others.

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Fri Oct 1 19:56:44 CEST 2010

One of the complaints in your stackoverlow references
concerned doBy::transformBy and the error message came
from eval().  Using eval() means you are throwing the
usual scoping rules out the window and making up some
new ones.  Using a non-core package means you are at
the mercy of its writer.

In transformBy I believe there is an error in the use
of parent.frame() that can be fixed by changing the
current

  > head(doBy::transformBy)

  1 function (formula, data, ...)
  2 {
  3     transform2 <- function(data, ...) {
  4         e <- eval(substitute(list(...)), data, parent.frame())
  5         tags <- names(e)
  6         inx <- match(tags, names(data))

  > head(transformBy)

  1 function (formula, data, ...)
  2 {
  3     PARENT.FRAME <- parent.frame()
  4     transform2 <- function(data, ...) {
  5         e <- eval(substitute(list(...)), data, PARENT.FRAME)
  6         tags <- names(e)

transform2's parent.frame will always be transformBy
and we really want to look for variables in the expressions
in the .. list in transformBy's parent frame, not in
transformBy itself.

Using parent.frame() often causes problems because you don't
always know how many frames come between your user's code and
your function's code.  (E.g., using methods may insert extra
frames.)  In this case I think it was always looking in the
wrong place.  The fix doesn't guarentee that it will always
look in the right place, but it should be right more often.

Bill Dunlap
Spotfire, TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com

ns-in-r-2-11-1-whats-going-wrong

> Links to different reports, all having that same pattern but with
> different functions :
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3742415/r-statistical-scopi
ng-error-using-transformby-part-of-the-doby-package
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3768417/how-to-use-acast-re
shape2-within-a-function-in-r
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3661500/why-cant-i-pass-a-d
ataset-to-a-function