[Rd] Reference Classes: how to clone/copy instances?

John Chambers jmc at r-project.org
Thu Nov 25 18:05:37 CET 2010

No reference class method explicitly does this, but it's a natural
utility. Some form of $copy() will be added.  It needs a shallow/deep
option; i.e., if a field is itself a reference class object, should that
field be cloned as well.  The full reflectance available should make a
single method (for the "envRefClass") work generally, although classes
with non-standard accessor functions may need to have their own method.

Any contributions or suggestions are welcome, particularly with respect
to features from other OOP languages that should be accommodated.  Lazy
copy would be attractive, but harder to implement.

John