[Rd] [R] Catching a RCurl error?

Janko Thyson janko.thyson at ku-eichstaett.de
Tue Nov 23 14:56:09 CET 2010

That's a question that also popped up in my work. You can definitely tune
timeouts in the options (e.g. one options of interest in that respect is
CURLOPT_TIMEOUT, which I think is lowercase in the R implementation; there
are others, too; check http://curl.haxx.se/docs/manual.html and
http://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/c/libcurl-tutorial.html).

Generally there's a lot of stuff you can specify but I haven't found a way
yet to use some sort of an "internal error control". Putting a tryCatch() or
try() wrapper around your CURL request is nice and good, but the error of
interest usually happens "inside" (or "with") the actual request which in my
case usually freezes the routine, so control is never handed back to R -->
try() was useless for me.

If you find something in that respect I'd be also very interested in your
solution

##### SYSTEM INFO #####
Windows XP SP3
R 2.12.0 (patched as of 2010-11-22)