[Rd] R-.12.0 atlas lapack

luxInteg lux-integ at btconnect.com
Sat Nov 20 23:35:02 CET 2010

Greetings,

I last  built R-2.11.1  a few months ago.  The computer was equipped with
these:-

---cpu amd64 2 cores
---o/s cblfs 64-bit only linux kernel-2.6.32 gcc-4.4.2 jdk(1.5)-6U20?
---bls atlas3.9.26  lapacck-3.2.1

I obtained   an installed directory of ~58Mbytes  and in the ~/lib directory
was  libR.so (~7.8Mbytes in size) as well as libRblas.so and libRlapack.so
(~2.9Mbytes).

I have since upgraded atlas to atlas3.9.32 and lapack to lapack-3.2.2. to
fulfill requirements of other numeric intensive  programs I use.  Today  I
compiled and installed    R-2.12.0   using the same settings used for R-2.11.1
and these are my findings:-

{The  installed directory is ~42Mbytes  and in the ~/lib directory there is
but libR.so of only 2.9 mbytes.  There are no libRlapack.so nor libRblas.so}

I would be grateful if someone culd explain   the discrepencies   between the
two versions of R  and what the requirements are for generating linRlapack.so
and libRblas.so  and/or whether these have been superceded.

thanks in   advance..

sincerely
luxInteg