[Rd] gomp library with Rtools212

Davor Cubranic cubranic at stat.ubc.ca
Fri Nov 19 22:11:13 CET 2010

On November 19, 2010 07:58:40 am Marko Robnik-Šikonja wrote:
> Dear developers,
>
> I am a maintainer of the CORElearn package which uses OpenMP
> multithreading to speed up some computations. When producing a new
> release we tested the package with the latest R 2.12.0. On Linux the
> package works normally. On Windows we installed a recommended
> version of Rtools (Rtools212) but the linker fails with the messages
> below.
[...]
> Suspecting that errors may be caused by a wrong underscore convention
>  I experimented with the SYMPAT variable in etc/Makeconf, but
> without success. My guess is that gomp library provided with
> Rtools212 is using a different underscore convention as the rest of
> the gcc. Can you suggest some solution, please?

The cause is that Rtools does not include libthread, which libgomp
depends on. I ran into the same problem as you (see the thread:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.r.devel/25764/). It didn't look
like libthread will be allowed into RTools, so now we turn OpenMP off on
Windows. Please let me know if you figure out a better solution.

Thanks,

Davor