[Rd] SEXPs and slots

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Mon Nov 15 19:01:47 CET 2010

On 11/15/2010 07:45 AM, Patrick Leyshock wrote:
> Very helpful, thank you.
>
> A couple other questions, please:
>
> 1.  I've got a function written in C, named "my_c_function".  In my R
> code I call this function, passing to it an INTSXP and a STRSXP,
> respectively:
>
>    result <- .Call("my_c_function", int_vector, str_vector)
>
> The prototype of "my_c_function" is:
>
>    SEXP my_c_function(SEXP int_vec, SEXP str_vec);
>
> Within my_c_function I am able to extract the values within the integer
> vector, e.g. I can grab the first value with these lines of code:
>
>    int extracted_value;
>    extracted_value = *INTEGER(int_vec);
>
> What I cannot figure out how to do is extract the value from the
> STRSXP.  I'm assuming that I can create a pointer to a character array,
> then malloc enough memory to hold the value.  Is there an analogous
> operation on "INTEGER" for STRSXPs?

STRING_ELT(str_vec, 0)

gets the 0th component of str_vec, which is a CHARSXP, i.e., an SEXP for
a character string. The char* can be retrieved with CHAR, so the usual
paradigm is

  const char *x = CHAR(STRING_ELT(str_vec, 0));

note the const-ness of the char* -- it's not mutable, because R is
managing char * memory.

The converse action, of assigning to an element, is

  SET_STRING_ELT(str_vec, 0, mkChar("foo"));

mkChar() is creating a copy (if necessary) of "foo", managing it, and
returning a CHARSXP. Working through protection (which will likely be
your next obstacle ;) in this last example is a good exercise.

There is a parallel operation VECTOR_ELT / SET_VECTOR_ELT for lists.

> 2.  Any good references/resources for developing R?  Nearly all the
> documents I've found are for programming R as a user, not as a
> developer.  I have copies of the documentation, which are very helpful,
> but it'd be helpful to have additional resources to fill in their gaps.

Chambers, 2008, Software for Data Analysis: Programming with R chapters
11 & 12,

Gentleman, 2008, R Programming for Bioinformatics chapter 6

might be helpful, but by the time they arrive you might find that you're
most of the way through the material covered...

I guess my opinion is that Rcpp would not be useful for understanding
R's C layer, whatever its merits for 'getting the job done'.

Martin