[Rd] S4 setMethod, setGeneric and default arguments

evilphil phil.joubert at landg.com
Thu Nov 11 13:13:51 CET 2010

Hi Guys

I have defined a generic function, for which one of the arguments has a
default:

setGeneric( "getFwdRate",
              function(.Object, tenorFrom, tenorTo=tenorFrom)
standardGeneric("getFwdRate")
          )

Then I have defined a method which also has a default:

setMethod( "getFwdRate", signature(.Object="CCurveVector",
tenorFrom="numeric", tenorTo="numeric"),
              function(.Object, tenorFrom, tenorTo=tenorFrom+1) {
	[REMOVED IRRELEVANT IMPLEMENTATION
                      }
          )

However, if I call

getFwdRate(thisYC, 1)

I get "Error in function (classes, fdef, mtable)  :  unable to find an
inherited method for function "getFwdRate", for signature "CCurveVector",
"numeric", "missing" "

Is there a way that this call would match the method I've defined? Or do I
need to declare a duplicate method with signature(.Object="CCurveVector",
tenorFrom="numeric", tenorTo="missing")? In which case what is the point of
having default arguments in the method declaration?

thanks
Phil