[Rd] No output/no source tarball produced by 'R CMD build' on Windows (but ret code is 0)

Hervé Pagès hpages at fhcrc.org
Mon Jun 21 21:20:37 CEST 2010

Hi,

After updating R-2.12 on the Bioconductor build system about 1 week ago
(we update R every 4-6 weeks for our devel builds), we've started to see
something never seen before on Windows: for some BioC packages,
'R CMD build' would produce no output at all (0 byte) and, of course,
no source tarball. Even though, the code returned by the command is 0!

See an example of this is here:

http://bioconductor.org/checkResults/2.7/bioc-LATEST/MotIV/liverpool-buildsrc.html
   (the content of this page is updated every day)

Note the:
   RetCode: 0
   PackageFile: None
and the lack of output!

This seems to happen randomly for a couple of packages every day. Today
it's for MotIV only. Last time I checked, it was charm and genefilter.
Before that, they were 2 other packages.

Note that the only thing that changed on our Windows build machine
liverpool (Windows Server 2003 R2 (32-bit)) is that R-2.12.0 was
updated to 2010-06-11 r52254.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

Thanks,
H.