[Rd] 00LOCK and nfs

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jun 10 13:54:03 CEST 2010

Note that this patch is incomplete: there are three separate branches
in install.packages() where R CMD INSTALL is used, and one already
uses --pkglock.  (So a short-term solution for you is to set Ncpus >
1.)

However, I think this request has been subsumed by a more general need
to be able to pass options to INSTALL, and R-devel now has an
INSTALL_opts argument to install.packages().  So I believe you could
just use install.packages( ... , INSTALL_opts = "--pkglock") .

On Tue, 1 Jun 2010, Kasper Daniel Hansen wrote:

> Further experimentation using this patch to install.packages shows
> that I sometimes have remaining 00LOCK-pkgname directories after doing
> a massive update on a multi-user system with R installed on NFS.
> However, I have never had install.packages/update.packages stop midway
> because of an unremovable 00LOCK directory.  I therefore consider the
> patch to be big improvement for people like me, having a multi-user R
> installed on NFS.  Private followups to my original email shows that I
> am not the only one with this problem.

But I should point out that others with well-tuned NFS do not have the
problem -- my sysadmins say that it was common with NFSv3 but they've
hardly seen it with NFSv4.