[Rd] Precompiled vignette on CRAN

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jul 14 22:04:37 CEST 2010

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010, Felix Schönbrodt wrote:

> Hello,
>
> my package passes R CMD check without any warnings on my local
> machine (Mac OS), as well as on Uwe Ligges' Winbuilder. On RForge,
> however, we sometimes run into problems building the Sweave
> vignettes.

Just 'problems' is not helpful.

> Now here's my question: is it necessary for a CRAN submission that
> the Sweave vignettes can be compiled on CRAN, or is it possible to
> provide the (locally compiled) pdf vignette to be included in the
> package?

This really is a question to ask the CRAN gatekeepers, but people are
on vacation right now, so I've give some indication of my
understanding.

What does 'compiled' mean here?  (Run through LaTeX?  Run the R code?)
There are examples on CRAN of packages which cannot re-make their
vignettes without external files (e.g. LaTeX style files), or take
hours (literally) to run the code.  The source package should contain
the PDF versions of the vignettes as made by the author.

There is relevant advice in 'Writing R Extensions'.

What the people who do the CRAN package checks do get unhappy about
are packages which fail running the R code in their vignettes, since
this often indicates a problem in the package which is not exercised
by the examples nor tests.  This gives a warning, as you will see in
quite a few CRAN package checks.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk