[Rd] R CMD check error with the GNU Scientific Library

pleydell at supagro.inra.fr pleydell at supagro.inra.fr
Fri Jan 22 10:59:28 CET 2010

I have been working on an R package that calls C code using .C(). I recently
started including some functions from the GNU Scientific Library in my code.
The code runs fine on my machine when not wrapped in the package. But I get the
following error from "R CMD check"

* checking whether the package can be loaded ... ERROR

Spatial Point Pattern Analysis Code in S-Plus

 Version 2 - Spatial and Space-Time analysis
Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...) :
  unable to load shared library
'/home/david/papers/inProgress/sharka_istanbull/package/sharka.Rcheck/sharka/libs/sharka.so':

/home/david/papers/inProgress/sharka_istanbull/package/sharka.Rcheck/sharka/libs/sharka.so:
undefined symbol: gsl_multimin_fminimizer_nmsimplex
Error in library(sharka) : .First.lib failed for 'sharka'
Execution halted

Clearly there is some difficulty linking up with
gsl_multimin_fminimizer_nmsimplex.

I noticed the QRMlib library also includes gsl functions. In that package they
include a src/gsl directory with the required .h files and in Makevars they
have "PKG_CFLAGS = -I./gsl". I have copied this approach, but wonder if using
the standard

"R CMD build myPackage"
"R CMD check myPackage"

needs modifying in some way?