[Rd] Documentation: format of read.table help text (PR#14180)

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Tue Jan 12 19:53:16 CET 2010

On 11/01/2010 10:10 AM, henrik.parn at bio.ntnu.no wrote:
> Dear R developers,
>
> I find the format of descriptions of the arguments in the read.table
> help text slightly inconsistent.

"Slightly inconsistent" is not a bug.  Your bug report is quite likely
to be ignored because of that and because of the lack of an offer to
actually do the work it entails, regardless of the validity of your
observations.

A way to have attention paid to it is to choose a consistent style, then
edit every man page in one of the base packages to follow it, and submit
the patches to all those files, with an offer to do the rest once the
style is accepted.  Expect that there will be one or more rounds of
discussion about whether your style really is usable.  Writing a style
guide would really help.

Sound like too much work?  I agree.

Duncan Murdoch