[Rd] Creating RPMs for Packages

Pierre-Yves pingou at pingoured.fr
Wed Jan 6 23:30:04 CET 2010

On Wed, 2010-01-06 at 13:35 -0500, Max Kuhn wrote:

> Before I try to write any code, does anyone see any issues with this
> (or has it already been done)? Is this a ridiculous approach?

You are for sure not alone in this effort to package R. A number of RPMs
have already made their way into Fedora and tools have been developed to
help this process.
One of them is R2spec [1], which I have worked on. I would also point
you to a 'fork' of R2spec [2] which aims at building RPM more than spec
(reason why they did not merge).
R2spec aims a helping to generate spec files as close as possible to the
final one for inclusion in official Fedora/EPEL repositories.
Allen S. Rout have made a nice job converting R2spec to generate RPM
directly, solving some of the circular dependences issues.

For the rest I believe Marc already point you to the right places.

Best regards,

Pierre

[1] https://fedorahosted.org/r2spec
[2]