[Rd] R-devel Digest, Vol 83, Issue 2

Romain Francois romain.francois at dbmail.com
Sun Jan 3 00:14:17 CET 2010

On 01/02/2010 11:41 PM, Romain Francois wrote:

> [...]
>
> require( inline )
> require( inspect )
>
> remover <- cfunction(signature( list = "language", object =
> "environment" ), '
> if( !isNull( list ) ){
> SEXP x = list ;
> SEXP y ;
> while( CAR(x) != object && CADR(x) != R_NilValue ){
> y = x ;
> x = CDR(x) ;
> }
> if( CAR(x) == object ) SETCDR(y, CDR(x) ) ;
> }
> return list ;
> ', Rcpp=FALSE, verbose=FALSE )
>
> e <- new.env()
> call <- call( "foo", e, e, 1:10, 3 )
> call
> # inspect( call )
> result <- remover( call ,e )
> result
> # inspect( result )
>
> gives this :
>
> foo(10, <environment>, 0, <environment>, 1)
> @0x9f4e0d0 06 LANGSXP [NAM(2)]
> @0x9f4e204 01 SYMSXP [] "foo"
> @0xa907b78 14 REALSXP [NAM(2)] (len=1, tl=1763713056)
> @0x9f4d564 04 ENVSXP [NAM(1)]
> FRAME:
> @0x9e94a10 00 NILSXP [MARK,NAM(2)]
> ENCLOS:
> @0x9eb7b4c 04 ENVSXP [MARK,NAM(2),GP(0x8000)]
> HASHTAB:
> @0x9e94a10 00 NILSXP [MARK,NAM(2)]
> @0xa907b58 14 REALSXP [NAM(2)] (len=1, tl=1936941344)
> @0x9f4d564 04 ENVSXP [NAM(1)]
> FRAME:
> @0x9e94a10 00 NILSXP [MARK,NAM(2)]
> ENCLOS:
> @0x9eb7b4c 04 ENVSXP [MARK,NAM(2),GP(0x8000)]
> HASHTAB:
> @0x9e94a10 00 NILSXP [MARK,NAM(2)]
> @0xa907b38 14 REALSXP [NAM(2)] (len=1, tl=543908709)
> NULL
> ==================
> foo(10, 0, <environment>, 1)
> @0x9f4e0d0 06 LANGSXP [NAM(2)]
> @0x9f4e204 01 SYMSXP [] "foo"
> @0xa907b78 14 REALSXP [NAM(2)] (len=1, tl=1763713056)
> @0xa907b58 14 REALSXP [NAM(2)] (len=1, tl=1936941344)
> @0x9f4d564 04 ENVSXP [NAM(2)]
> FRAME:
> @0x9e94a10 00 NILSXP [MARK,NAM(2)]
> ENCLOS:
> @0x9eb7b4c 04 ENVSXP [MARK,NAM(2),GP(0x8000)]
> HASHTAB:
> @0x9e94a10 00 NILSXP [MARK,NAM(2)]
> @0xa907b38 14 REALSXP [NAM(2)] (len=1, tl=543908709)
> NULL
>

> so it boils down to this as a replacement to RecursiveRelease :
>
> /**
> * Removes the first instance of object with the list
> */
> static SEXP RemoveFromList( SEXP object, SEXP list){
> if( !isNull( list ) ){
> SEXP x = list ;
> SEXP y ;
> while( CAR(x) != object && CADR(x) != R_NilValue ){
> y = x ;
> x = CDR(x) ;
> }
> if( CAR(x) == object ) SETCDR(y, CDR(x) ) ;

Going a bit further, attached is an R script that contains c code for
both methods, generation of some "big" list and calling each method to
remove the object in the worst case scenario (object to remove is at the
end of the list) :

[romain at santorini tmp]$ Rscript release.R 10000
gcc -std=gnu99 -I/usr/local/lib/R/include  -I/usr/local/include    -fpic
  -g -O2 -c release.c -o release.o
gcc -std=gnu99 -shared -L/usr/local/lib -o release.so release.o
-L/usr/local/lib/R/lib -lR
gcc -std=gnu99 -I/usr/local/lib/R/include  -I/usr/local/include    -fpic
  -g -O2 -c remove.c -o remove.o
gcc -std=gnu99 -shared -L/usr/local/lib -o remove.so remove.o
-L/usr/local/lib/R/lib -lR
    user  system elapsed
       0       0       0
    user  system elapsed
   0.000   0.001   0.001

Then it starts to be "noticeable" :

[romain at santorini tmp]$ Rscript release.R 100000
gcc -std=gnu99 -I/usr/local/lib/R/include  -I/usr/local/include    -fpic
  -g -O2 -c release.c -o release.o
gcc -std=gnu99 -shared -L/usr/local/lib -o release.so release.o
-L/usr/local/lib/R/lib -lR
gcc -std=gnu99 -I/usr/local/lib/R/include  -I/usr/local/include    -fpic
  -g -O2 -c remove.c -o remove.o
gcc -std=gnu99 -shared -L/usr/local/lib -o remove.so remove.o
-L/usr/local/lib/R/lib -lR
    user  system elapsed
   0.001   0.000   0.002
    user  system elapsed
   0.007   0.004   0.013

then :

[romain at santorini tmp]$ Rscript release.R 500000
gcc -std=gnu99 -I/usr/local/lib/R/include  -I/usr/local/include    -fpic
  -g -O2 -c release.c -o release.o
gcc -std=gnu99 -shared -L/usr/local/lib -o release.so release.o
-L/usr/local/lib/R/lib -lR
gcc -std=gnu99 -I/usr/local/lib/R/include  -I/usr/local/include    -fpic
  -g -O2 -c remove.c -o remove.o
gcc -std=gnu99 -shared -L/usr/local/lib -o remove.so remove.o
-L/usr/local/lib/R/lib -lR
    user  system elapsed
   0.008   0.000   0.008
Error: segfault from C stack overflow