[Rd] R-devel Digest, Vol 83, Issue 2

Romain Francois romain.francois at dbmail.com
Sat Jan 2 18:42:58 CET 2010

On 01/02/2010 05:56 PM, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> We are now using [2] R_PreserveObject and R_ReleaseObject to manage
>>> garbage collection instead of the PROTECT/UNPROTECT dance. This seems to
>>> work well, but I was wondering if there was documentation about it.
>>
>> The most precise technical documentation is in memory.c
>> PROTECT is an alias for Rf_protect, itself an alias for
>> SEXP protect(SEXP s);
>> and uses a stack (R_PPStack) to store protected objects.
>>
>>> In particular, if we preserve the same SEXP twice (or more), should we
>>> implement some sort of reference counting ?
>>
>> This depends on the requirements for your system.
>>
>> For example, in rpy2 I added a reference counting layer(*) because I
>> wanted to allow several Python objects to share the same underlying R
>> object, but that's not currently(*) counting how many times an object
>> should be freed.
>> (*: imperfect, but currently doing a very decent job - details upon
>> request).
>>
>> That kind of feature could be provided by R's C-level API, since this
>> could be seen of general use as well as give an opportunity to improve
>> the performances of the R_PreservedObject/R_ReleaseObject duo whenever
>> a lot of objects are protected and/or external code is
>> protecting/releasing objects through a FIFO proxy.
>>

>>> Reading the source (below, from memory.c) I think not, but some
>>> confirmation would help.
>>
>> I understand the code in memory.c like an object preserved twice needs
>> to be freed twice: R_PreciousList is just a (linked) list, and
>> "R_PreserveObject(object)" adds the object to the beginning of the
>> list while "R_ReleaseObject(object)" removes the first "object" found
>> from the list.
>>

>>> void R_PreserveObject(SEXP object)
>>> {
>>> R_PreciousList = CONS(object, R_PreciousList);
>>> }
>>>
>>> static SEXP RecursiveRelease(SEXP object, SEXP list)
>>> {
>>> if (!isNull(list)) {
>>> if (object == CAR(list))
>>> return CDR(list);
>>> else
>>> CDR(list) = RecursiveRelease(object, CDR(list));
>>> }
>>> return list;
>>> }
>>>
>>> void R_ReleaseObject(SEXP object)
>>> {
>>> R_PreciousList = RecursiveRelease(object, R_PreciousList);
>>> }
>>>

>>> I'd also be interested if there is some ideas on the relative efficiency
>>> of the preserve/release mechanism compared to PROTECT/UNPROTECT.
>>
>> PROTECT/UNPROTECT is trading granularity for speed. It is a stack with
>> only tow operations possible:
>> - push 1 object into the stack
>> - pull (unprotect) N last objects from the stack
>
> UNPROTECT_PTR is also possible, which does a linear search through the
> stack and unprotects something possibly deep within it. There is also
> REPROTECT which allows you to replace an entry within the stack.

Thanks; I've used those when I played with the parser's code (for
highlight). It felt slightly harder to use than preserve/release since
you have to maintain the protect index, etc ...

I think I'll go as you say below, just maintain my own precious list,
the way Preserve/Release does it.

Romain

--
Romain Francois