[Rd] Where does install.R go when R gets compiled? Or, how to experiment with changes to install.R?

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 18:33:14 CET 2010

Hello, everybody.

I apologize if this is obvious.  I've not tried to make changes in R
code within the R source itself before.

I'm pursuing an experiment to make RPM files for R packages
on-the-fly. Any time I install an R package successfully, I want to
wrap up those files in an RPM.   Basically, the idea is to "hack" an
option similar to --build for R CMD INSTALL.

I observe in the R source code this is the file that handles installs

src/library/tools/R/install.R

The R DESCRIPTION file has the information required and the code in
install.R is quite clear and easy to understand. I *think* I see what
I need to do.

But I don't understand how to test the effect of my changes without
re-compiling R and re-installing it.

In the installed R, there is no file "install.R", so there's no
obvious place to hack on it.

Is it actually necessary to recompile & re-install R every time I want
to test changes to that file?

pj
--
Paul E. Johnson