[Rd] Copyright versus Licenses

Guillaume Yziquel guillaume.yziquel at citycable.ch
Sat Feb 13 16:58:58 CET 2010

Simon Urbanek a écrit :
> On Feb 12, 2010, at 7:14 PM, Dominick Samperi wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 11:54 AM, Simon Urbanek <simon.urbanek at r-project.org> wrote:
>>
>> Copyright is the right that the author of an original work holds automatically (unless someone else can claim to own his work - e.g. his employer etc.) under the Berne Convention.
>>
>> Interesting, but what about the situation where a new author adds his name as copyright holder without them consent of the original copyright holder,
>
> If the software is released under GPL then no one needs anyone's consent. By licensing the software under GPL you give everyone the right to modify and redistribute the software so anyone can modify it, add their copyright notices and release it.

Looking at the backlog of events that led Dominick to try legal stunts
around the GPL, I guess that the only free software licence that would
satisfy his needs concerning Rcpp is the QPL. This way he retains
control over the evolution of the source code.

By far not one of my favourite licences, but that's the licence he's
been looking for all along.

--
      Guillaume Yziquel
http://yziquel.homelinux.org/