[Rd] Darwinian software development and the library function

Henrik Bengtsson hb at stat.berkeley.edu
Sat Feb 13 16:10:30 CET 2010

Hi.

Here are some guidelines that I find useful:

- Avoid changing the arguments of generic functions provided by the
default R packages, especially the ones in base.  Just, accept those
arguments.  If there are extra arguments you don't like, you can
always add '...' to your method and they will be accepted/pass the R
CMD check.

- Using an S3 generic function that only has '...' arguments seems to
work well and makes all methods for it pass R CMD check, regardless of
what arguments you use in your methods.

- Use R.methodS3 to define your methods, i.e. use setMethodS3("print",
"foo", function(x, ...) { ... }).  This will check if there is a
generic function or not, and if missing, it will be created.
R.methodsS3 was created to make your S3 life easier.

My $.02

Henrik