[Rd] Darwinian software development and the library function

spencerg spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Fri Feb 12 16:41:03 CET 2010

Hi, Charlotte:

      I'm not sure what you mean.  If you mean writing something like
"print.foo (myfoo, ...)", this is relatively benign I suppose, but I
avoid it where feasible.  On multiple occasions, I've pushed
collaborators and even maintainers of other packages to change this or
allow me to change it to conform to the standard;  if my memory is
correct, there have been several violations of this standard in the
"fda" package, which are no longer there because I changed them.  If a
user with an object "x" of class "foo" writes print(x=x) or
print(foo=x), I'm not sure what it would do, but it might not be what
you want.

      My "sos" package masks "?".  However, I don't like it.  I
generally consider such to be potentially user hostile, and whenever
feasible, I prefer to avoid such code.  I did it in this case for a
couple of reasons.  First, using "?" (actually "???") seems so much
easier to remember than "findFn" that it justifies this transgression of
standard protocol.  Second, one of the leading figures in the R
community (Duncan Murdoch) contributed suggested we do this and
contributed the code.

      If you change the definition of "print" itself, that seems to me
to be a much bigger issue, with consequences much more difficult to
predict.  If someone else also overwrites "print" making it different
and incompatible with yours, then your code may not work or theirs may
not, depending on which gets loaded first in the search path.  Worse,
your code cannot possibly have been tested as thoroughly as the standard
code.  If your code includes a subtle bug that only occurs under special
circumstances, it may be hard for the person experiencing the problem to
find, because they don't expect it.

      Hope this helps.
      Spencer

--