[Rd] R Startup configuration file

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Feb 12 15:22:53 CET 2010

On Feb 12, 2010, at 3:50 , Barry Rowlingson wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 3:06 PM, Barry Rowlingson
> <b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>>  But I agree that writing a saveable options package is the first
>> step
>> - then making that a default in R is the second so people don't have
>> to edit profiles and R packages and applications can expect an API
>> for
>> savable state.
>
> More thinking about this has turned it into a problem of being able
> to serialize R objects to XML.

This is getting OT, but, please, no XML. It's entirely useless in this
context IMHO (as it is in others, but that's another story) and we
already have reliable support for storing R objects (more than one in
fact). Despite the fact that some used to claim human readability of
XML in practice it turns out to be false, so I don't see any real
benefits of XML in this context.

Cheers,
Simon