[Rd] filenames with special characters in the R/ directory of a package?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Feb 12 12:10:54 CET 2010

'Writing R Extensions' does say what names are allowed in the R
directory (at the start of section 1.1.3 in section-numbered formats).
To wit

   The R subdirectory contains R code files, only. The code files to be
   installed must start with an ASCII (lower or upper case) letter or
   digit and have one of the extensions .R, .S, .q, .r, or .s.

'[.set.R' does not meet that rule, and so is skipped.  This is not
something R CMD check reports, since the wording implies that other
names can be used for files to be not installed.