[Rd] Want non-ASCII characters in data package

Kevin R. Coombes kevin.r.coombes at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 17:45:21 CET 2010

Hi,

I have a data frame that includes several names that (if typeset
correctly) require accented characters not available in the ASCII
character set.

I'd like to include this data frame as example data in an R package.
I'd also like the R CMD check warning about the use of non-ASCII
characters to go away, in part so I could submit the package somewhere
that wouldn't balk at the presence of the warning.  (I gather from older
posts that there are environment variables to skip this check.  Those
will work for me personally but will not necessarily appease the
maintainers of sites like CRAN where I might want to submit the package.)

Is there any way to use the correctly accented characters by setting a
different character encoding or equivalent for the data frame? Or am I
forced to remove the offending accents in order to be ASCII-pure and
thus leave people and places with an incorrect representation of their
names?

     Kevin