[Rd] aperm() should retain class of input object

Tim Hesterberg timhesterberg at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 15:43:13 CET 2010

Having aperm() return an object of the same class is dangerous, there
are undoubtedly classes for which that is not appropriate, producing an
illegal object for that class or quietly giving incorrect results.

Three alternatives are to:
* add the keep.class option but with default FALSE
* make aperm a generic function
  - without a keep.class argument
  - with a ... argument
  - methods for classes like table could have keep.class = TRUE
* make aperm a generic function
  - without a keep.class argument
  - with a ... argument
  - default method have keep.class = TRUE

The third option would give the proposed behavior by default, but
allow a way out for classes where the behavior is wrong.  This puts
the burden on a class author to realize the potential problem with
aperm, so my preference is one of the first two options.