[Rd] directory structure of R 2.12.0 distribution

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 19:07:14 CET 2010

Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 11:43 AM, Kevin R. Coombes
> <kevin.r.coombes at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On my 64-bit machine, there are two subdirectories:
>>    i386
>>    x64
>> I usually want to use the 64-bit executable.  However, some packages have
>> not yet been compiled for a 64-bit machine, so for those I need to use the
>> 32-bit i386 subdirectory.
>>

> Thanks.
>
> Is there something at installation time that says which to use?

No, that's up to the user.  If you want to run 32 bit R, use i386.  If
you want to run 64 bit R, use x64.  (You need to be on 64 bit Windows
and to have chosen to install both to have this choice.)

> Is there a registry entry?

There's an entry in the 32 bit registry if you install 32 bit R, and one
in the 64 bit registry if you install 64 bit R.  Writing R Extensions
discusses this.

> Is this documented anywhere?

It was announced in the CHANGES file, and there's a description in the R
Admin manual as well as the Writing R Extensions manual.

Duncan Murdoch