[Rd] Competing with one's own work

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 22:08:29 CET 2010

Ravi Varadhan <rvaradhan <at> jhmi.edu> writes:

> "The decision about whether it belongs in a package or in base R is
> about who should maintain the code."
>
> Ok.  I understand it now.
>
> Thanks,
> Ravi.

   A point that may not have been made (sorry if it was and I missed it):

A better question might be how packages get added to the *recommended*
package list (rather than how code gets added to "base R").  Of the
16 recommended packages, 2 are maintained by R-core itself, 12 by various
R-core members acting as individuals (I assume), and 2 by non-R-core
people. It seems that if a contributed package sticks around long enough
and proves itself sufficiently useful and of sufficiently high quality
(and well enough maintained), that it could then be suggested as
a recommended package.

i1 <- installed.packages()
i2 <- i1[!is.na(i1[,"Priority"]),]
ff <- function(x) table(sapply(x[,"Package"],maintainer))
ff(i2[i2[,"Priority"]=="base",])

R Core Team <R-core at r-project.org>
                                12

ff(i2[i2[,"Priority"]=="recommended",])

           Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk>
                                              7
Deepayan Sarkar <deepayan.sarkar at r-project.org>
                                              2
 Doug and Martin <Matrix-authors at R-project.org>
                                              1
             Luke Tierney <luke at stat.uiowa.edu>
                                              1
   Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch>