[Rd] reliability of R-Forge? (moving to r-Devel)

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at structuremonitoring.com
Thu Aug 26 10:52:32 CEST 2010

  Hello:

       Can anyone comment on plans for R-Forge?  Please see thread below.

       Ramsay, Hooker and I would like to release a new version of "fda"
to CRAN.  We committed changes for it last Friday.  I'd like to see
reports of their "daily checks", then submit to CRAN from R-Forge.
Unfortunately, it seems to be down now, saying "R-Forge Could Not
Connect to Database:".  I just tried, 'install.packages("fda",
repos="http://R-Forge.R-project.org")', and got the previous version,
which indicates that my changes from last Friday have not been built
yet.  Also, a few days ago, I got an error from
'install.packages("pfda", repos="http://R-Forge.R-project.org")' (a
different package, 'pfda' NOT 'fda').  I don't remember the error
message, but this same command worked for me just now.

       I infer from this that I should consider submitting the latest
version of 'fda' to CRAN manually, not waiting for the R-Forge
[formerly] "daily" builds and checks.

       R-Forge is an incredibly valuable resource.  It would be even
more valuable if it were more reliable.  I very much appreciate the work
of the volunteers who maintain it;  I am unfortunately not in a position
to volunteer to do more for the R-Project generally and R-Forge in
particular than I already do.

       Thanks,
       Spencer Graves