[Rd] Decision tree and factor variables

clusty sandro.saitta at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 09:06:03 CEST 2010

Hello,

I'm building a decision tree in R with the rpart package. Modeling is
fine. But when it comes to scoring, I have the following issue:

factor 'cust_language' has new level(s) OT

I think this comes from the fact that when learning, the DT doesn't
see all the possible value of the factor variable cust_language. When
scoring, new values comes and I get this error. However, it should not
be a problem to have new values for a factor variable when scoring
with decision tree.

Any idea on how I should handle the problem?
Thanks.