[Rd] No RTFM?

Hadley Wickham hadley at rice.edu
Sat Aug 21 18:04:04 CEST 2010

> previous suggestion by a regular contributor.  I still think a better
> response is not to escalate:  Either ignore the post or say something like,
> "I don't understand your question.  Please provide a self-contained minimal
> example as suggested in the Posting Guide ... ."

I agree wholeheartedly. I have tried to do this with the ggplot2
mailing list, and I think it has been extremely successful in
fostering a community that is friendly and polite, yet still provides
excellent technical support (and these days, most of it doesn't come
from me!).

I know it's frustrating when you see the same "stupid" question asked
over and over and over again, and it's so tempting to reply harshly,
but I think you're far better off just letting it go, and doing
something fun instead.

Hadley

http://had.co.nz/