[Rd] c.POSIXct

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Thu Aug 19 04:34:58 CEST 2010

On Aug 18, 2010, at 6:23 PM, Gabor Grothendieck wrote:

> No one answered this so I submitted it to the bugs system and there I
> got the response that it is documented behavior; however, whether its
> documented or not is hardly the point -- its undesirable that tzone is
> lost when using c.

That's one man's opinion - from docs

  if you want to specify an object in a particular timezone but
   to be printed in the current timezone you may want to remove the
   ‘"tzone"’ attribute (e.g. by ‘c(x)’).

so apparently that is a design choice and hence I doubt it can be changed as it would break code that uses that feature. As many things in R whether it was a good choice is up for debate but it has been made already. (Think about how you would combine different times with different tzones - there is no "right" way to do so and thus stripping is very plausible and consistent)

Cheers,
Simon