[Rd] S4 method execution time

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Apr 30 10:03:09 CEST 2010

On Fri, 30 Apr 2010, Daniel Murphy wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I have written some an elementary S4 classes around a matrix to strengthen
> control of some key attributes. When I run a fairly elementary function
> ("f") on the matrix outside the class it runs instantaneously (elapsed
> system.time = 0) but when I setMethod "f" on myClass -- returning an
> instance of myClass -- it runs perceptibly slower (elapsed system.time =
> .06). I suspect my initialization and/or validity functions are
> inefficiently written. I thought I read in this list of a function that will
> trace the execution time of each of the functions called during the
> evaluation of an R expression, but now I can't find that message. Is there
> such a function, or was I mistaken?

Maybe Rprof?   That is certainly the tool I would use, and it is
described in 'Writing R Extensions'.

But we do know that S4 methods do have a significant overhead: OTOH
there is caching going on and so a lot of this overhead is on first
use.  So you may find that your 'toy' test does not scale to a real
problem (surely you have difficulty perceiving 60ms, literally the
blink of an eye?).