[Rd] Resolving functions using R's namespace mechanism can double runtime

Romain Francois romain at r-enthusiasts.com
Tue Apr 27 22:38:45 CEST 2010

Le 27/04/10 22:16, Dominick Samperi a écrit :
> It appears that the runtime for an R script can more than double if a few
> references to a function foo() are replaced by more explict references
> of the form pkgname::foo().

It would probably help your question if you provide some benchmarks.

a::b is just a shortcut for `::`( a, b ).

> The more explicit references are of course required when two
> loaded packages define the same function.

Not really. You can :
- resolve once: my_foo <- pkgname::foo
- import the variable into your namespace using the importFrom namespace
directive.

--
Romain Francois
Professional R Enthusiast