[Rd] Serial connections?

Blair Christian blair.christian at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 16:33:57 CEST 2010

Does anybody know if there is any support to read from serial ports?
I just got an arduino, and wanted to write some scripts for working
with real time streaming sensor data...

In base::connections documentation, it's not clear if there's an easy
way to do this?  Any ideas on hacking it?  I'm open to win/linux/mac
solutions.  I'm not sure how sockets work, but possibly there is a way
to pipe things to a buffer and read from a buffer in bash (in my linux
mind I have the thought of trying to redirect /dev/something to a
file, or symlinking a file to point to the hardware, but know that
there has to be some secret sauce to go from streaming in to a
readable file, but don't know what the missing components are).

Thoughts?