[Rd] [R] library(): load library from a specified location

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon Apr 5 20:54:32 CEST 2010

[ re-diverted to R-devel ]

    > On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 7:58 PM, Rolf Turner
    > <r.turner at auckland.ac.nz> wrote:
    >> But ***please*** say ``load *package*'', not ``load
    >> library''.  The *location* (collection of packages) from
    >> which you wish to load the given package is the
    >> ``library''.

    >  Anyone vote for deprecating the library() function and
    > renaming it use() or requiring require() instead?

I'm voting pro.

We (R core) had planned to do this, probably about 5 to eight
years ago, then started discussing about possible features of
the new  use()  function, of making a package into an "object"
that you'd want to interrogate, ...
and then probably got tired  ;-)

With the many moons passed, I'd now tend to *not* add features,
but really renamed 'library' to 'use'
and create a  library() with a deprecation message which then
simply calls use()...
and yes, I'd allow a very exceptionally long deprecation period
of two to five years before making library() defunct.

Martin