[Rd] as(1:4, "numeric") versus as.numeric(1:4, "numeric")

Hervé Pagès hpages at fhcrc.org
Thu Apr 1 23:59:09 CEST 2010

John Chambers wrote:
> The point I was making was that as() is not just a synonym for selecting
> a method from coerce() by the usual inheritance rules.  I don't believe
> it should be, and the documentation emphasizes that inheritance is not
> used in the ordinary way.

I got this. If you look carefully at the change I'm suggesting for
selectMethod(), you will notice that I said that f="coerce" would
then need to become a special case.
In other words, when f="coerce", the usual inheritance rules are
replaced by the rules that are currently implemented in as() and
described in its man page.
So to summarize: (1) the code in as() that is currently in charge of
selecting/creating/caching the most adequate coerce method is moved
to selectMethod(), (2) the sections in ?as that describe the rules
of this non-standard inheritance are moved to ?selectMethod.

> If one were to start rewriting code (which I'm not suggesting) my
> preference would be to  have coerce() not be a generic function,
> eliminating the offending selectMethod() calls.

Then how one would know what as() is doing *exactly* i.e. which
coerce method was used or will be used in such or such situation?
showMethods()/selectMethod() are great tools because they allow the
developer to predict things and troubleshoot.

If you don't like putting the non-standard inheritance rules in
selectMethod() (when f="coerce") then you can always add something
like selectAsMethod() and put them here, and also add something
like showAsMethods(). I guess that's more or less what you are
saying when you propose to have coerce() not be a generic function,
at least not an usual one.
But it's important to expose selectAsMethod()/showAsMethods() to
the user. We absolutely need them!

Now I'm not sure I understand your concern about putting this
stuff in the existing selectMethod()/showMethods(). Why not just
ignore the useInheritance= arg when f="coerce"? Again, this would
be a special case anyway (and documented). The advantage of this
solution (over selectAsMethod()/showAsMethods()) is to avoid having
to introduce and expose 2 new names, so the user doesn't have to
switch between select*/show* tools depending on whether f="coerce"
or not.

H.

--
Hervé Pagès