[Rd] Installation problem from R 2.8.x

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Wed Sep 30 19:30:32 CEST 2009

In September 2009 Matias Silva reported a execution permission
problem during a package installation (look in the r-devel archives
for ' [Rd] Installing rJava RJDBC bad interpreter: Permission denied').
It was due to the fstab file marking /tmp as noexec, hence nothing
in /tmp was executable, regardless of its file mode.  Since the package
was copied to /tmp before compilation he ran into the problem.
I think he worked around it by setting TMPDIR=/var/tmp, where /var/tmp
did not have this restriction, before doing the install.  His error
message was different but you might be having a similar problem.

Bill Dunlap
TIBCO Software Inc - Spotfire Division
wdunlap tibco.com