[Rd] build time dependency

Romain Francois romain.francois at dbmail.com
Mon Sep 28 20:25:10 CEST 2009

On 09/28/2009 04:39 PM, Uwe Ligges wrote:
> Romain Francois wrote:

>>> Do you mean at a) "R CMD build" time or at b) "R CMD INSTALL" time?
>>
>> I meant R CMD INSTALL (but probably also R CMD build --binary), I need
>> to check the code to see where this overlaps.
>
> Are you sure you *really* need those dependencies at INSTALL rather than
> build time? I haven't looked closely into roxygen so far, but if it is
> designed to work at INSTALL time, the task is to move this to the build
> time of the package from my point of view.
>
> Since the roxygen author, Manuel Eugster, is in Dortmund today, I will
> discuss this point.

Hi Uwe,

I think you are supposed to do this kind of sequence:

R CMD roxygen yourRoxygenablePackage
R CMD build yourRoxygenablePackage_roxygen

... but I don't like this because what you upload to cran is not the
actual source but somethingalready pre-processed. (This also applies to
packages shipping java code, most people just compile the java code on
their machine and only supply a jar of compiled code, but that's another
story I suppose ...)

I'd prefer the roxygenation to be part of the standard build/INSTALL
system, so my plan is to write configure and configure.win which would
call roxygenize to generate Rd.

I am not aware of any hook similar to configure[.win] you can use so
that "R CMD build" does something extra. I probably just missed it.

Romain

--
Romain Francois
Professional R Enthusiast