[Rd] Windows Laptop specification query

Keith Satterley keith at wehi.EDU.AU
Mon Sep 28 05:40:03 CEST 2009

I've read some postings back in 2002/2006 about running R on multiple
core CPUs. The answer was basically separate processes work fine, but
parallelization needs to be implemented using snow/rmpi. Are the answers
still the same?

I ask because we are about to order a laptop running Windows for a new
staff member. Some advice on the following would be helpful.
It will be ordered with Vista, with a free upgrade to Windows 7. It will
have 8GB of memory

A quad core CPU costs about AUD$1100 more than the fastest (Intel
T9900-6M Cache, 3.06 GHz) dual core CPU.
I'm wondering if there is value in ordering the quad core. We are
looking at a time frame of 3-4 years.

Is anyone aware of near future plans to implement some form or
parallelization that would more or less be hidden from the normal user?

It is anticipated that analysis of Next Gen sequence data will be important.

I've read the Windows FAQ about running R under Vista. We will probably
start with Vista. I've read some posts in R-devel indicating people are
running R under Windows 7. Is it safe to assume that R will run under
Windows 7 after it is released?

We are hoping to make use the 8GB of memory. Am I right in assuming that
when the 64 bit version of Windows 7 is available, it will allow R users
to make good use of the 8GB of memory. Does this happen under the
current higher end versions of 64 bit Vista?

cheers,

Keith

Keith Satterley
Bioinformatics Division
The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research
Parkville, Melbourne,
Victoria, Australia