[Rd] Windows Source Install Without Rtools

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Thu Sep 17 22:27:57 CEST 2009

On Sep 17, 2009, at 16:09 , Gabor Grothendieck wrote:

> Note that that is not currently the recommended way.

Now that would be a surprise to me - to quote R-admin: 6.3.1: "R CMD
INSTALL works in Windows to install source packages if you have the
source-code package files".

> Also, what comes after INSTALL? The source .tar.gz name?
> The pathname to the source directory?

R CMD INSTALL --help

Usage: R CMD INSTALL [options] pkgs

Install the add-on packages specified by pkgs.  The elements of pkgs can
be relative or absolute paths to directories with the package (bundle)
sources, or to gzipped package 'tar' archives.  The library tree
[...]

Cheers,