[Rd] Windows Source Install Without Rtools

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Sep 17 18:19:01 CEST 2009

On 17 September 2009 at 11:32, Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
| Regarding this from this week:
|
| 2.10.0 PACKAGE INSTALLATION (Windows)
| It is possible to install source packages without Rtools provided they
| have no compiled code and no configure.win or cleanup.win script.
|
| - what are the instructions to perform such a source install?
| - I assume one still needs MiKTeX -- is that right?
| - is the source install done from a tar.gz (in which case one would
| need tar to create it) or directly from the source directory tree?

You may want to stick this

      http://developer.r-project.org/blosxom.cgi/R-devel

into your RSS reader so that you get daily summaries of changes.

I don't follow this too religiously (as I typically only built r-devel once we have
alpha/beta/rc candidates) but even I am aware that

      a) dynamic .Rd conversion at runtime, so Miktex may no longer be needed

      b) untgz.exe on Windows to read (compressed) tarballs

Dirk