[Rd] Non-GPL packages for R

Robert Gentleman rgentlem at fhcrc.org
Fri Sep 11 16:48:14 CEST 2009

Hi,

Peter Dalgaard wrote:
> Prof. John C Nash wrote:
>> The responses to my posting yesterday seem to indicate more consensus
>> than I expected:

  Umm, I had thought that it was well established that responders need
not represent the population being surveyed.  I doubt that there is
consensus at the level you are suggesting (certainly I don't agree) and
as Peter indicates below the issue is: what is maintainable with the
resources we have, not what is the best solution given unlimited resources.

   Personally, I would like to see something that was a bit easier to
deal with programmatically that indicated when a package was GPL (or
Open source actually) compatible and when it is not.  This could then be
used to write a decent function to identify suspect packages so that
users would know when they should be concerned.

   It is also the case that things are not so simple, as dependencies
can make a package unusable even if it is itself GPL-compatible.  This
also makes the notion of some simple split into free and non-free (or
what ever split you want) less trivial than is being suggested.

   Robert