[Rd] asking for suggestions: interface for a C++ class

Jay Emerson jayemerson at gmail.com
Sat Sep 5 16:01:32 CEST 2009

Yuri,

Based on your brief description, we have already done this with
bigmemory, and the ff package does something very similar but with
emphasis on a wide range of atomic data types and data frame.  Unless
you are planning something different from what's been done before, you
shouldn't waste valuable time on it.  We (bigmemory)  support shared
memory and filebacked objects, and use the BOOST interprocess library
to support all platforms.  It's been a 2-3 year project with many
unanticipated problems, but it's pretty stable and a good number of
people seem to be using it at this point.

We'll be releasing a fairly major redesign this Fall, and would
appreciate suggestions and feedback.

Jay

--
John W. Emerson (Jay)