[Rd] unable to compile RODBC (R 2.9.2, AIX)

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Sat Oct 31 21:13:40 CET 2009

On Oct 31, 2009, at 1:13 PM, Chuck White wrote:

> Hello -- I am trying to compile (linker error, not compiler error)
> RODBC for R 2.9.2 on AIX 5.3 using gcc. I get the following error:
>
> gcc -maix64 -pthread -std=gnu99 -shared -Wl,-brtl -Wl,-G -Wl,-
> bexpall -Wl,-bnoentry -lc -L/usr/lib -L/usr/X
> 11R6/lib -L/usr/local/lib -L/opt/freeware/lib -L/opt/freeware/lib64 -
> o RODBC.so RODBC.o -lodbc -lm -L/usr/l
> ocal/builddir/lib -lR
> ld: 0711-738 ERROR: Input file /usr/lib/libodbc.so:
>        XCOFF32 object files are not allowed in 64-bit mode.
> collect2: ld returned 8 exit status
> gmake: *** [RODBC.so] Error 1
> ERROR: compilation failed for package 'RODBC'
>
> I would appreciate any help I can get in this regard.  Thanks.

I don't have hands-on experience with AIX, but I am going to guess
that you have a 32 bit version of unixODBC installed and that is what
is being found on your system, raising the error. If you do have a 64
bit version installed, I believe that the path is /usr/lib64, rather
than /usr/lib. So you perhaps need to adjust the library paths for the
RODBC package configuration and/or if not yet installed, be sure to
install a 64 bit version of unixODBC.

Additional information is available in the RODBC package vignette,
which is available online:

   http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/RODBC/vignettes/RODBC.pdf

See Appendix A for Installation information.

BTW, for future reference, you might want to post to the R-sig-db list: