[Rd] linking to package directories broken in R >= 2.10 beta

Thomas Petzoldt Thomas.Petzoldt at TU-Dresden.de
Sat Oct 17 14:39:58 CEST 2009

Dear R developers,

some of our packages come with additional programming examples in a
directory called "/examples" which is created from "/inst/examples".

This directory is linked from the docs (e.g. in inst/doc/index.html):

<dl>
<dd>Source code of examples
</dl>

Given, that we have a package "foo" this is resolved to:

file:///C:/Programme/R/R-2.9.2/library/foo/examples/

with R <= 2.9.2. With R 2.10 beta (R-beta_2009-10-16_r50118.tar.gz) and
R-devel (svn rev. 50118) we get:

http://127.0.0.1:26383/library/foo/examples/

This is fine, but in contrast to older versions (<= 2.9.2) no automatic
index is created for the linked directory, so we now get:

"URL /library/foo/examples/ was not found"

bu linking to *individual files* (e.g. examples/example.R) works as
expected. We can, of course, add manually maintained index files but I
would much prefer if a default index would be created for the directory
if no index.html is found.

I very much enjoy the new help system and would be even more happy if
that issue could be fixed.

Thomas Petzoldt

PS: A minimal reproducible example (foo_1.0.tar.gz) can be provided by
mail if required.

--
Thomas Petzoldt
Technische Universitaet Dresden