[Rd] Question when compiling source code with VC++

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Oct 16 16:59:31 CEST 2009

On Oct 15, 2009, at 17:01 , cstrato wrote:

> Dear Duncan,
>
> In your document "readme.packages.txt" you have a very helpful
> chapter on "Using Visual C++".
> Please allow me to ask you one question: Why do you propose the
> option "/MT" instead of option "/MD"?
> (To my knowledge usually option "/MD" is used when compiling
> programs with VC++.)

Have you read the MS docs? They have different purposes - /MD pulls in
MSVCR which may not be what you want (depending on your code), /MT
just says that you want thread-safe libs. The fact that something is
"usually" used is not necessarily a very good indicator -- it's better
if you know what you're doing ;).

Cheers,
Simon