[Rd] for loop over S4

Romain Francois romain.francois at dbmail.com
Tue Oct 13 15:42:21 CEST 2009

Hello,

Here is a more complete patch implementing an iterating scheme inspired
from the java Iterable/Iterator design.

Nothing is changed for non S4 objects.

The patch contains 4 generic functions :

is.iterable : indicates if an object is iterable. The default method
returns FALSE

iterator: returns the iterator associated with an iterable object. the
idea is that this function is only called if the object is iterable.

hasNext: indicates if an iterator has more elements. The default method
returns FALSE

getNext: returns the next element of the iterator

Here is an example:

require( methods )

setClass( "SimpleIterable", representation( to="integer" ) )
setClass("SimpleIterator", representation(to="integer", env =
"environment") )

setMethod("is.iterable", "SimpleIterable", function(x) TRUE )
setMethod("iterator", "SimpleIterable", function(x){
	env <- new.env()
	assign( "i" , 0L, envir = env )
	new( "SimpleIterator", to = x at to, env = env )
} )
setMethod( "hasNext", "SimpleIterator", function(x){
	res <- x at env[["i"]] < x at to
	res
} )
setMethod( "getNext", "SimpleIterator", function(x){
	new.i <- x at env[["i"]] + 1L
	assign( "i", new.i, envir = x at env )
	new.i
} )

 > o <- new( "SimpleIterable", to = 10L )
 > for( i in o ){
+ if( i == 3L ) next
+ if( i == 5L ) break
+  cat( i, "\n" )
+ }
1
2
4

Here is an example iterating over a java Iterable object (the methods
would need a bit more error trapping) without fetching all the elements
in advance:

require( rJava )
.jinit()

setMethod( "is.iterable", "jobjRef", function(x){
	.jinherits( x, "java/lang/Iterable" )
} )
setMethod( "iterator", "jobjRef", function(x){
	.jcall( x, "Ljava/util/Iterator;", "iterator" )
} )
setMethod( "hasNext", "jobjRef", function(x){
	.jcall( x, "Z", "hasNext" )
} )
setMethod( "getNext", "jobjRef", function(x){
	.jcall( x, "Ljava/lang/Object;", "next" )
} )

 > v <- new( J("java/util/Vector" ) )
 > v$add( new( J("java/lang/Double" ), 10.2 ) )
[1] TRUE
 > v$add( new( J("java/awt/Point"), 10L, 10L ) )
[1] TRUE
 > for( i in v){
+ print( i$getClass()$getName() )
+ }
[1] "java.lang.Double"
[1] "java.awt.Point"

While I'm on this, in the usual for loop :

- why is the switch inside the for. The code would be slighly more
efficient if it was the other way ?
- why so many calls to TYPEOF, is it not always going to return the same
type ?
- why recreating v each time ?

(I probably miss something here)

Romain