[Rd] installing any package fails using 'install.packages()' (PR#13993)

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Oct 10 15:46:46 CEST 2009

On 10 October 2009 at 05:25, lmramba at gmail.com wrote:
| Dear all,
| I  installed my R-2.9.2 on my ubuntu version 9.04 successfully  using the
| command
|
|    sudo apt-get install r-base-dev
|
| The problem is that I cannot install any package.

Huh?  This has _nothing_ to do with the error below.

| See my details below:
|

| > install.packages("epicalc")
| Warning in install.packages("epicalc") :
|   argument 'lib' is missing: using
| '/home/lmramba/R/i486-pc-linux-gnu-library/2.9'

This is suspicuous.

If you used the Ubuntu package, it would use /usr/local/lib/R/site-library by
default.  So if you have a locally built version *you* need to figure out
what you broke there.

| --- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---
| Error in read.dcf(file = tmpf) : Line starting '<html> ...' is malformed!
| >
| > install.packages("lattice")
| Warning in install.packages("lattice") :
|   argument 'lib' is missing: using
| '/home/lmramba/R/i486-pc-linux-gnu-library/2.9'
| Error in read.dcf(file = tmpf) : Line starting '<html> ...' is malformed!

No idea but you busted there. But it looks suspiciously like a local error on
your end.

Set an explicit argument for the repos, e.g. via ~/.Rprofile

    options("repos"="http://cran.us.r-project.org")    ## US mirror

(as I am in the US, adapt accordingly for a close mirror for you) to avoid
the tcl/tk query.

That, again, works like a charm here on Ubuntu 9.10:

R> install.packages("epicalc")
Warning in install.packages("epicalc") :
  argument 'lib' is missing: using '/usr/local/lib/R/site-library'
trying URL 'http://cran.us.r-project.org/src/contrib/epicalc_2.9.2.5.tar.gz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 201849 bytes (197 Kb)
opened URL
downloaded 197 Kb

* Installing *source* package ‘epicalc’ ...
** R
** data
** demo
** preparing package for lazy loading
** help
*** installing help indices
 >>> Building/Updating help pages for package 'epicalc'
     Formats: text html latex example
  ANCdata                           text    html    latex
[...]
  use                               text    html    latex   example
  zap                               text    html    latex   example
** building package indices ...
* DONE (epicalc)

The downloaded packages are in
        ‘/tmp/RtmpydkfiZ/downloaded_packages’

If you install into /usr/local/lib/R/site-library, I recommend making that
directory's group mode one of the ones you have and set it to group-write.  I
typically make myself member of group 'staff' (or 'admin').

Again, in sum: not a bug in R and you just created extra work for R Core to
maintain the bug database.

Dirk