[Rd] Improved Function Information with <TAB> Key

Deepayan Sarkar deepayan.sarkar at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 20:38:16 CEST 2009

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 5:33 AM, Lee Kelvin <lee.s.kelvin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the responses,
>
> Im not familiar with the development of readline 6, is it possible to test
> this functionality now, or will this be included in a future standard
> release of R?

I don't think it's possible to test it now (but I can't say for sure
as I don't have readline 6 installed and haven't read the
documentation carefully). In theory, some future release should
include a check for readline>=6 and disable sorting, but I'm not sure
when or if that will happen in practice.

> Also, it was suggested that Emacs and the ESS package may be of use.  Im not
> overly familiar with emacs, but I will give it a go.

As far as I can tell, Emacs' completion system also sorts, and I don't
see a way to inhibit that. ESS does show you the results of args()
when you type an open paren after a function name, which should be
useful for you.

-Deepayan