[Rd] how to document stuff most users don't want to see

spencerg spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Wed Oct 7 06:15:27 CEST 2009

I write *.Rd files primarily because it helps me think through what I
want the software to do AND because the "\examples" provide any degree
of unit testing I feel I need to create "trustworth software" (to quote
Chambers).  The fact that I can then share the resulting package with
others is a marvelous byproduct of this approach to software
development, but not the primary reason I do it.  Earlier today, I read
where Hadley had had problems with my code and had to read the help file
carefully to understand how to fix the problem.  I immediately wrote to
Hadley inviting more input (and to my collaborator to suggest that the
package be placed on R-Forge to make it easier for people to improve
documentation, etc.).

Adding my $0.02 to Seth's.

Spencer

--